So Ethan suggested we put together the backyard foundry using the tutorial from Grant Thompson - The King of Random.
We did our bet to follow along and build as close to specs as possible. The foundry itself worked well however we did run into an airflow issue. We couldn't maintain enough heat to get the cans all the way to liquid and stay that way.
Ended up with aluminum sludge instead. After a closer inspection the blower was mostly clogged with mouse nest. We cleaned out the nests and will take another shot at it.
Unfortunately, the cover fell apart (did not add steel wool) and will need to another one before we will try another run through.
Over all we were quite satisfied in the trial run, learned a lot and look forward to trying again in the near future!
Thanks for reading,
Michael & Ethan